The George Holland Award annually recognizes volunteers who have made extraordinary contributions to the Washington State Golf Association and the game of golf throughout the WSGA territory of Washington and Northern Idaho. These dedicated individuals contribute many hours of time and effort, as well as resources, to our Association, simply for the satisfaction of knowing they are benefiting the game of golf. They are truly the "unsung heroes" of the WSGA. It is named the George Holland Award in honor of longtime volunteer, contributor, and two-time past president, George Holland.
2018 George Holland Volunteer of the Year Award Recipient: Ernie Lockwood
The WSGA is proud to award Ernie Lockwood the 2018 WSGA George Holland Volunteer of the Year Award.
- Volunteered 25 days for WSGA and PNGA Championships, and USGA Qualifiers
- Attended and participated in 12 WSGA Course Ratings
- Volunteered at several Washington Junior Golf Association (WJGA) tournaments
- Volunteered at several high school and collegiate tournaments
- Certified WSGA Rules Official – scored over 90% on USGA Rules Exam
- Certified WSGA Course Rating Team Member
- WSGA Club Representative since 2000
Ernie has been a dedicated volunteer and club representative since 2000, representing Kitsap Golf and Country Club in Bremerton. In 2018, Ernie went above and beyond the definition of a volunteer. He spent hundreds of hours traveling and volunteering for junior tournaments, championships, and course ratings all around the state.
He is a man of many talents, although didn’t play golf as a kid. “I didn’t have any money for it,” he said. “And why would anybody want to chase a white ball around a cow pasture.”
He first picked up a golf club in 1962, during his first year attending the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland.
In 1995 he retired after 30 years active duty in the Navy as a submarine officer, with his last tour of duty serving as commander of Submarine Base Bangor, near Bremerton.
After retiring from the Navy, he remodeled cabinets until 2012, when he started devoting himself completely to the Rules of golf.
At WSGA and PNGA championships and USGA Qualifiers, Ernie is a reliable Starter and Rules Official or Referee, and many times all at the same time.
And when he isn’t assisting with championships or qualifiers, Ernie is with the WSGA Course Rating Team rating many courses throughout the state. The WSGA is very fortunate to have such an enthusiastic and thoughtful volunteer like Ernie Lockwood.
(Mouse over recipient's name for more information.)
- 2017 - Bill Best
- 2016 - Dave Nelsen
- 2015 - Michele and Chris Sales
- 2014 - Mike Mueller and Jim Marcacci
- 2013 - Kaydee Mounce
- 2012 - Ray Monroe and Steve Kay
- 2011 - Jim Patten
- 2010 - Jim Hagerty and Kaydee Mounce
- 2009 - Jane Sossamon and Ron Nelson
- 2008 - H.M. "Monty" Montgomery and Ben Stodghill
- 2007 - Jackie Belsvik and Gomer Evans
- 2006 - Stanley Bishop and George Pennell
- 2005 - Brooks Whittle
- 2004 - Chuck King and George Egge
- 2003 - Dan Farmer and Lew Kisling